Saturday, February 04, 2006

IN MEMORIAM: THE PEARSON FAMILY PETS

Past weeks, months, and years have seen times of mourning for dearly beloved pets in our families. As I have commiserated with the losses of Rock, Scooter, Ben, Max, Oliver, Thor, and most recently Ramius and Clyde, memories of the 15 years that Rascal was with us have resurged..Todd recently put a photo of Rascal on this blog, along with a memory of his...When Chuck and Kim e-mailed about the sadness of losing their 16-year-old Clyde, I shared with them my own time of grieving when Rascal died in late 1984..I had not realized how deep the sadness would be and how much I missed her..I suggested to Chuck and Kim that they post a blog about Clyde; instead they gave me permission to quote their words of remembrance:
(From Kim):"We took Clyde to the vet yesterday and had him euthanized after several weeks of steady downhill progression..he was getting disoriented and in the last day had wanted to go outside, probably to find someplace to die..I did let him go outside on the final day for a short walk, and then I carried him around the Woodtique prope4rty of one last time, and he seemed to look keenly around as we walked. Chuck and I spent some shared time with him before the end, and he purred and purred while I held him and Chuck stroked him..In spite of our preparation the tears came all day,---there was some relief but so much more sadness at the loss..He had a very good life, I think..He would have been 16 years old in February, and except for his neutering and a broken hip that slowed him down briefly, never was ill, and enjoyed very good health until his cancer diagnosis..He was a great cat and was loved by all his friends. Chuck estimated that he had spent at least one of his 15-plus years on his lap, and spent the remainder of his years gazing at the world from his stoop and periodically going out to inspect his seven-acre Woodtique empire, along with bossing me around, because in his world, Chuck was #1, Clyde was #2, and I was #3..We will miss him every day. Love, Kim
(Chuck)Thank you, Mother, for your condolences.You have never shared those separation memories of Rascal before, and I have to thank you for doing so, because I have had a great deal of guilt over the extent of my grief. He was the best cat ever, my buddy boy.Everyone loved him. He walked around the compound with his tail straight up in the air like an alpha-male macaque monkey, making friends everywhere he stuck his curious, bossy little nose in.Over two dozen people were concerned and inquiring about him....these are the things I have to remember and cherish. Thank you for your note about grieving for Rascal; it kind of gives me permission.
Love, Chuck

|